A special thanks to PTO for organizing the Bocce Tournament this past weekend. It seemed that everyone had a great time. Thanks to all of you who came out to support St. Ambrose and meet new families.
I am glad that so many of you were able to join us last Thursday for the PTO meeting. If you were unable to come, please make sure that you touch base with your child’s teacher for any news that you may have missed. During that evening, there were sign-up sheets for various activities. We could always use more help at lunch time if you have flexible work hours, especially on Thursdays and Fridays.
As we approach September, we also approach the Iowa Testing week. Please practice with your child math facts for speed and accuracy. They count on the test!
Mrs. Henry will be heading the spelling bee this year so look for information in the coming weeks.
Speech team try-outs will take place on September 15 at 3:10 PM. Students in grades 5-8 who are interested should fill out an application in the office.
Dates to Remember
Aug. 30 8 AM Mass
Aug. 30 Auction Planning Meeting at Five Bistro, 7 PM
Sept. 1 St. Ambrose Forever Party in Berra Park, 5-9 PM
Sept. 2 8 AM Mass
Sept. 5 Labor Day, No School
Sept. 6 8 AM Mass
Sept. 9 8 AM Mass
Sept. 9 Family Movie Night, School Parking Lot
Sept. 16 Auction Gift Giving Party
Sept. 19-23 ITBS Testing
Sept. 22 Eckert’s Field Trip (Kindergarten-2nd Grade)
Sept. 30 St. Ambrose Night at the Ballpark
In only three weeks, our students in grades 3 through 8 will be taking the Iowa Assessments. You can help your child to be better prepared by setting good routines now. Make sure your child is getting adequate rest, and eating a high protein breakfast each day. This will set the pace for a good routine when testing week arrives.
Practice math facts and problems in the car and at meal times. Quick and accurate computation is one of the areas tested, and is an area where we are looking to make gains. Help your child to do his/her best!
If you have pictures to share during the year, please send them to Jenn Kelly at [email protected] or through Fast Direct to the Website account in the Staff directory. Thanks!
Save the Date
The auction will be November 5, 2016! Mark your calendars and plan to join us for an exciting and entertaining evening. If you are interested in volunteering for the auction or making a donation, please see the volunteer form in this Monday Memo.
All are invited to a Gift Giving Party in support of the St. Ambrose Auction “Kitchen Traditions” on September 16th from 6:30pm-8:30pm in the school cafeteria. Bring an item to donate and stay to enjoy beverages and food courtesy of Lorenzo’s Trattoria.
Sports Items, Event Tickets, Memberships, Electronics, Gift Cards, Home Accessories, Cash, etc.
RSVP: [email protected]
Be sure to check out the PTO planner page on Fast Direct for a list of upcoming events and printable flyers and registration forms. If you have any questions, please send them to the PTO fast direct account. Thanks!
Thanks to everyone who signed up as PTO volunteers at Meet and Greet and the PTO Parent Meeting! If you signed up for a specific event, you will be contacted as the event approaches. If you signed up to be a Room Parent, a fast direct with details will be sent out soon and a Room Parent meeting will be held on Thursday, September 8th from 6:30-7:30 in the cafeteria. Please plan to attend. Thanks!
PTO Annual Bocce Tournament at Milo’s.
Thank you to everyone who played in the PTO Bocce Tournament and stopped by Milos this past weekend! We raised over $3000. The winners were Tom Perotta and Ron Bozikis and runner-ups were Rich and Mandy Longland. Congratulations!
More pictures of the tournament fun are available on Facebook and at http://school.stambroseonthehill.com/blog/events/st-ambrose-pto-bocce-tournament/#more-2275
Family Movie Night
Cardinals Night at the Ballpark
St. Ambrose is hosting a night at the ballpark on September 30th against the Pirates. It will also be fireworks night after the game. A flyer with the order form was sent out on fast direct and is also available on the school website and Facebook page under events. Tickets are $14. The last day to turn in your reservation is September 13th. It is sure to be a fantastic evening!
UNIFORM INFORMATION 2016-2017
Maestro has begun to print uniform shirts with the new logo. They are available in the store at 1631 Sublette. The remaining shirts with the old logo have been discounted. The discounted prices are:
Polos were $15 now $12
Sweat shirts and Pre-K T’s were $10 now $8
House shirts will remain $15
- Hunter green polo shirts with the St. Ambrose logo, available at Maestro (1631 Sublette, 314-781-2992) or Lands End (www.landsend.com)
- Pre K may wear either the hunter green polo or the Pre K t-shirt also sold at Maestro.
- Khaki shorts with plain pockets and no stitching (for boys and girls) no cargo pants or short shorts (belts are needed for grades 3-8.)
- Girls (grs. 4-8) may wear plaid skirt, no shorter than 2 inches above the knee. Available at Quinn Uniform. (3231 Ivanhoe, 314-781-3111)
- Girls (grs. PK-4) may wear plaid skort, also available at Quinn.
- This uniform will also be used for gym. Students may wear a T-shirt (plain solid shirt, no words or markings on the T-shirt) under the uniform shirt and take off the uniform shirt for gym.
- St. Ambrose hunter green polo shirts (Maestro and Lands End), hunter green cardigan sweater or fleece (Lands End) or hunter green sweatshirt (Maestro) Solid white turtleneck shirt may also be worn.
- Pre K may wear either the hunter green polo (Maestro and Lands End) or the Pre K t-shirt (Maestro).
- Khaki slacks (belts are needed for grades 3-8) with plain pockets and no stitching.
- Girls (grs. 4-8) may wear plaid skirt, no shorter than 2 inches above the knee. (Quinn)
- Girls (grs. PK-4) may wear plaid skort (Quinn)
- Girls may wear tights in the winter under their skirt or skort. Tights should be navy blue, white or black.
- Traditional brown or black school shoes, Sperry shoes or tennis shoes are acceptable.
- Socks must be worn at all times and should be solid white or black. (If there is a small logo on the socks, it must be either white or black.)
- During snowy weather, children may wear boots or shoes other than those they intend to wear in school. They may change upon arrival.
Additional Regulations for Boys
|Hair:||Must be neatly styled. No designer cuts, radical styles, tails, or artificial coloring of hair is acceptable. Hair should be above shirt collar, out of the eyes, and above the ears.|
|Jewelry:||Watch, religious medals only.|
|Attire:||It is required that pants or shorts be worn at the waist with a belt and shirttails tucked in.
No shoes with wheels on the bottom are permitted.
No facial hair.
Additional Regulations for Girls
|Hair:||Must be neatly styled. Any hair adornments used must not be distracting. No radical styles or colors are acceptable.|
|Jewelry:||Small ring, watch, one religious medal, one bracelet, one pair of small stud earrings only.|
|Cosmetics:||Make-up and perfumes are not permitted. Non-scented, non-tinted lip balms and clear nail polish are permitted.|
|Attire:||It is required that pants or shorts be worn at the waist and shirttails tucked in.
Skirts should be at an appropriate length.
No shoes with wheels on the bottom are permitted.
St. Ambrose Parish News
St. Ambrose Parish has begun offering the option to make weekly contributions through the form of ACH payments. To learn more and enroll in the program, click the link below, fill out the form, and return it to the rectory office during normal business hours or place it in the collection basket at Mass.
The parish is also restarting the Brick Paver Program. If your family would like to purchase a paver in front of church to be engraved with your name or a special date, please print out the form using the link and return it to the rectory office.
High School Nights
Mark your calendars for the 2016 High School Nights. They are a great way to learn about the application process and find out about individual schools. A schedule of the nights is available at http://school.stambroseonthehill.com/blog/fall-2016-high-school-night-schedule/
Archdiocesan Family Programs
Below are two invitations to events offered by the Archdiocese’s Office of Natural Family Planning. Families from St. Ambrose have attended these programs in the past and have found them to be very well done and beneficial.